Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Espresso Cup & Sorbets...


Okay... So, this little simple espresso cup is my new treasure. Yes, it's a simple common cup and this is the only one I have. It may look like a common cup that you might be able to buy/find anywhere, but it's the story behind this simple cup.

While, in Europe; my husband and I found ourselves driving on a narrow, serpentine road through the Alps. Hungry and looking for local cuisine, we found Restaurant Kainer in Triesenberg, Liechtenstein. What a jewel. They specialize in seasonal, local home-style cooking. The restaurant has a garden terrace with a wonderful view of the Alps and the Rhine Valley, but it was raining.



We stayed for hours. We enjoyed the wonderful food, local beer and the home-y atmosphere. We bonded with an amazing elderly couple that sat next to us. We “spoke” for hours. Unfortunately, we spoke English with little to no German and they spoke German to little to no English, but we bonded nonetheless. At one point, our waiter and the restaurant owner sat down and drank with us. To say the least, we had a great time.

Now back to my espresso cup. I rarely order dessert when I eat out, but since I was on vacation... why not?!? I decided to order a coffee dessert called Deutscher Eis Kaffee. It's a dreamy chilled coffee cream with vanilla ice cream topped with whipped cream and espresso beans. All I can say is... YUM! I was served this dreamy dessert in this cute little espresso cup. Yup, this very same espresso cup.

As we were getting ready to leave, our waiter gave me the little espresso cup. I was so excited and I thought it was a great gesture. Plus, what girl doesn't like a gift? This little cup survived its trip back to the states from Liechtenstein and I treasure it.

Nothing screams summer like citrus and sorbet. This weekend I found myself with an abundance of limes and I decided to try some flavor combination. I love simple and flavorful desserts. 


Strawberry Lime Sorbet
Yields: approx. 3 cups

Simple Syrup
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Water

Strawberry Puree
1 quart Fresh Strawberries, cleaned, stems removed and quartered
1 teaspoon Lime Juice, freshly squeezed

Sorbet
1 1/2 cups Strawberry Puree
1 cup Simple Syrup, chilled
1/2 cup Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
Zest of 1/2 Lime
Splash of Vodka, about 1 - 2 teaspoons

Simple Syrup: Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until sugar dissolves, about 3 - 5 minutes. Allow the syrup to cool and keep refrigerated until ready to use.

* I usually make large batches of simple syrup and keep it in the refrigerator. I keep it on hand for just about anything: Sorbets, Poaching Fruits or my husband's favorite... Mojitos.

Strawberry Puree: Combine the strawberries and lime juice in a food processor or a blender. Pulse for about 3 - 4 minutes, then process until the strawberries are completely pureed, about 1 - 2 minutes. Press the strawberries through a strainer to remove the seed, if you desire. I actually like the seeds, so I skip this step.

Sorbet: In a medium bowl, stir in simple syrup, strawberry puree, zest, lime juice and vodka together. Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. Process the mixture in an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.




Pink Grapefruit Lime Sorbet   
Yields: approx. 3 cups


Simple Syrup
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Water

Sorbet
1 1/2 cups Pink Grapefruit Juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 cup Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
1 cup Simple Syrup, chilled
1 tablespoon Pink Grapefruit Zest
Zest of 1 Lime
Splash of Vodka, about 1 - 2 teaspoons

Simple Syrup: Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until sugar dissolves, about 3 - 5 minutes. Allow the syrup to cool and keep refrigerated until ready to use.

Sorbet: In a medium bowl, stir in simple syrup, pink grapefruit juice, lime juice, zests and vodka together. Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. Process the mixture in an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...