Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Simple and Flavorful

Who hated beets as a child?!?

Okay, I was a weird child. I actually liked beets, brussel sprouts and all my veggies. The only veggie I didn't like as a child and still will not eat is okra. I really, really dislike okra. It's gummy, slimy, weird and just plain yucky. I just had a bad experience as a kid and I have tried to eat it since. Maybe, I need to find someone who knows how to prepare it correctly. For now; I refuse to eat it.
 
I really enjoy beets. It has a sweet earthy taste, that I just love. As a child, I used to rub the beets on my lips...to look like I had lipstick on. I thought I looked so fancy. I can't believe I am admitting to it...quite embarrassing actually. I hope I am not the only child to have done that.

Summertime for me equals simple, easy recipes. This is by far, my favorite beet salad. It's so simple and flavorful.

Beet and Feta Salad  
 Serves: 4

3 - 4 medium-size Beets, trimmed and scrubbed
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 cup Parsley, roughly chopped
Feta Cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Vinaigrette
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
1/8 teaspoon clove Garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450ºF.

Place beets on aluminum foil lined with parchment paper. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Seal foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork or knife.

Allow the beets to cool. Once cooled, rub your finger and thumb across the skin of the beets. The skin should peel right off. Remember, beets stain. If desired, wear gloves to protect your fingers from its stain. Cut into quarters or smaller pieces. Allow chilling in the refrigerator.

In a medium bowl, place balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, pour the olive oil in a steady stream until emulsified. Add beets and parsley; gently toss to combine. Plate salad onto plate and crumble feta cheese on top. Do not toss the feta cheese with the beets; the beets will stain the feta.


3 comments:

  1. I loved beets, that is b/c I am Polish, you can't be Polish and dislike beets, well I guess you can but it is rare. Love the salad and great pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure some fresh mint would also fit this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them, too, and also like okra. Try it the way this cook does it:
    http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/08/deep-fried-okra.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...