Monday, January 12, 2015

Visiting Europe | Feldkirch, Austria




As I mentioned in our previous post, we've been away from this space for a while and wanted to catch you up on what we've been up to. My husband and I had an opportunity to head back to Europe at the end of summer.

If you read this blog in the past, you know that I've visited this area about fours ago. And, I was completely happy to be back again. As you may or may not know; not only is my husband my taste-testing guinea pig, but he also works for an international company. Every now and again, he has to visit headquarters and more than happy to join him.

While he was off at work. I got to trek around and discover Feldkirch, Austria. Feldkirch is a medieval town nestled between Switzerland and Liechtenstein. This quaint little town has tons of charm and history. Most of the city still has old fortifications that were built by German King Maximillian I in 1507 (Sorry for the added history lesson, but I love knowing a little more of where I visit). I think the highlight of this old city is the amazingly preserved Schattenburg castle.

The Schattenburg castle is nested on a hill overlooking Feldkirch. I trekked up a steep, but walkable hill from the old town. Trust me... It was so worth it! The castle is small, but the breathtaking views of the city alone made me forget that steep hike.


If you're ever in this area, I recommend that you take a daytrip into Feldkirch. There are cool little boutiques, designers shops, and amazing food. There's also an amazing farmers' market here on Saturday mornings. Come early because a lot sells out quickly and come ready to eat everything. I especially wanted to eat everything from the mobile cheese truck. Mmm... cheese! Even if you don't like farmers' markets, you'll enjoy this one. It's a nice place to stroll around; people watch and listen to local artists preform.

The only thing I was shocked by here was... Most shops have sporadic hours. And when I say sporadic hours, I mean they open whenever they feel like it. Also, everything closes around lunch time for around almost 2 hours (including cafes and most restaurants) and they close early. I've been to Europe before and I know shop and restaurant hours are different then back home, but it was a bit shocking here in Feldkirch. But it kind of didn't bother me that much (except for when i was hungry) since the architecture and beautiful flowers kept me busy. It was a little difficult to choose pictures of this precious city to share with you, but I think I managed to show my steps in Feldkirch.

Enjoy the rest of your day! ~ Shay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...